- City of Baton Rouge
- Finance Department – Internal Auditing Division
- Pay Grade: 2210 - Job Code: 100217 Salary Range: $39,157 - $66,661
- Special Recruiting Rate-Starting Salary: $45,393
Under the direction of a higher classification, performs audits City-Parish financial records and operations. Work involves performing complete and detailed audits of all accounts and financial transactions in City- Parish departments and agencies. Work requires the exercise of independent judgment in accordance with established policies, rules, regulations, and professional standards, and requires the use of discretion and tact, usually under circumstances in which cooperation must be secured through good will rather than legal authority. Work is subject to review through written comments, discussion, and observation of results obtained. Performs other work as requested.
ESSENTIAL WORK TASKS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Audits financial and operational records, data, and programs to determine the effectiveness of internal controls, efficiency and effectiveness of systems, and the level of compliance with applicable statutes, rules, procedures, policies, and regulations.
- Examines all contracts, purchase orders, and other documents which may involve obligations of the municipal government; monitors financial operations of City-Parish departments and agencies.
- Monitors federal and state grants to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Determines audit strategies, programs, and procedures for specific audit assignments.
- Writes professional audit reports detailing audit procedures, findings and conclusions. Knowledge of generally accepted auditing standards and accounting principles as applied to governmental accounting.
- Knowledge of all ordinances and resolutions relating to the operation of the municipal accounting system.
- Ability to use a computer for word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, City-Parish employees, and officials, and to exercise initiative and judgment in difficult situations.
- Ability to make decisions, recognizing precedents and practices and to use resourcefulness and tact in meeting problems.
- Ability to lift and carry a laptop and accessories to and from the work site.
- Must be able to perform out-of-town work for a one week period for Internal Auditing when requested by supervisors.
Education Experience: Bachelor's degree with at least twenty-four semester (thirty-six quarter) hours of a university professional accounting curriculum.
Substitutions: Master's degree with at least twenty-one semester (thirty-one and a half quarter) hours of a university professional accounting curriculum.
Certifications/Licenses: Must have a valid Louisiana driver's license at the time of appointment and must be maintained throughout employment in this classification.
Other Job Aspects: Availability of, and ability to drive a private motor vehicle during working hours.
NOTE: The work examples described in this specification are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from job performance requirements if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the job.
Applications should be submitted to the City of Baton Rouge – Human Resources Department-Recruitment and Examination Division. (1755 Florida Street, Baton Rouge, LA 70802) (225-389-3132)
Link to application: http://brgov.com/dept/hr/download.htm
Link to full job description : http://brgov.com/dept/hr/jobdesc.asp?GetTitle=9830